Learning Basic Stitches

To begin learning embroidery, I decided to learn some basic stitches.

I decided to start with running stitch, one of the most basic stitches commonly used in sewing, since it’s one of the easiest stitches.

Running stitch

I drew a line to follow while backstitching, but I didn’t follow it, resulting in a crooked line. The individual stitches were also different lengths.

After that, I decided how to learn how to do backstitch, also commonly used, and satin stitch.

PXL_20230330_202450525.MP.jpg
Back stitch

Satin stitch is created by a bunch of close stitches used to fill in a shape. My first attempt was okay, but I noticed that the stitches were very uneven, likely due to shaky hands.

PXL_20230330_202411001.jpg
Satin Stitch

I also learned how to do split stitch as well. For split stitch, I read how to do the “stab” method. It starts out with a straight stitch, then you push out of the bottom in the middle of the stitch.

PXL_20230330_202437325.jpg
Split stitch

I also learned how to do the woven wheel stitch. You start by using straight stitch to make five “spokes”, then alternate pulling the string over or below the spokes. I thought this stitch would be challenging, but it was easier than I thought it would be. This stitch is useful for creating flower shapes.

PXL_20230330_200938432.jpg
Top: woven wheel Middle: Stem stitch Bottom: herringbone stitch

I also learned the stem stitch which is somewhat similar to the split stitch. I encountered some troubles with this, especially at the bend of the line.

I also learned how to do the herringbone stitch, but I noticed that the lines and the distances between the Xs are uneven.

Lastly, I decided to learn how to the French Knot. I tried it yesterday, but couldn’t understand the instructions from 3 books and multiple websites. However I found a video demonstration which helped a lot. I finally achieved some decent French knots.

French knot

With that, I can now do a basic embroidery pattern. I am thinking about doing a basic floral pattern from a book, or a felt cactus pattern.

.