Genius Hour Blog Post 7

For this week of Genius Hour, I attempted to bake cinnamon palmiers. Palmiers are a type of French pastry.

The reicpe I used is from https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/231466/cinnamon-palmiers/

The recipe says that you needed to use one sheet of puff pastry to make 24 palmiers, so I used 1 block of Tenderflake. HOwever, this only made 12 palmiers.

During my first attempt to roll the puff pastry, I overrolled it and it became WAYYY too sticky, so I had try it again.

During the second attempt, I didn’t overoll the puff pastry. As stated earlier, the recipe actually made 24 palmiers and used 1/3 cup of sugar for inside of the palmiers. That was way too much sugar, and it kept falling out as i tried to cut the pastry. Also, the pastry kept falling apart and not sticking.

When I put the palmiers into the oven, after they finished baking they unrolled themselves and there was a LOT of burned sugar on the bottom because I addded too much cinnamon and sugar.

The palmiers were too sweet and there was a lot of burned sugar on the bottom of them, making them really crunchy, and not in a good way. In conclsuion, I think this recipe was a big fail.

buttered puff pastry
in the oven
finished palmiers

One thought on “Genius Hour Blog Post 7