Week 3- Starting a Project

Since I learned most of the basic stitches used to create simple projects, I decided to actually start doing an embroidery project. I chose a pattern from the embroidery kit I already had at home. I started by tracing the design onto the embroidery fabric using a light box and a pencil, but I found that I couldn’t really draw on fabric that well using pencil. I decided to use a black Pilot Pen, which was easier to draw with, but it still didn’t draw as easily. The instruction book said to use a washable fabric marker, but I couldn’t find any in my house.

PXL_20230404_012032318~2.jpg
Close up of drawing

I started with back stitching the stems and satin stitching the leaves. I also wanted to do the flowers, but my thread kept getting tangled so I decided to do it later.

I started working on this project on Thursday, and continued it on Friday, but I still don’t have much progress. I tried not to get too distracted while embroidering, but doing it with nothing in the background was kind of tedious.

current progress

The instruction book said to add the French knots at the end as finishing details, but I decided to add them at the beginning for some reason. That was a horrible idea, because they kept falling out and I kept messing up. Whenever I worked on the knots I found that many of them fell out or got pulled through the fabric.

Failure at doing French knots

I definitely am still struggling at doing French knots, but I think that if I practice enough I’ll improve. This week I plan on doing more of the back stitch stems and work on the flowers and leaves.