Woven Wheels

As mentioned in a previous blog post, I learned how to do the woven wheel stitch. In the current embroidery project I am working on, the flowers are made from woven wheels with five “spokes”. This is in contrast to a book I read Mary Thomas’ Embroidery Dictionary, which said that woven wheels use usually seven or nine “spokes”. The book that came with the embroidery kit said to create five spokes.

Some problems I had while doing this stitch are making the spokes equal lengths. Another problem is making the stitches the same size. If they aren’t around the same length, the stitch will look a bit odd in the end because the some of the spokes are still visible.

As you can tell the stitch is smaller than my copy of the traced embroidery pattern. It is a lot too small. To fix it I think I should just make the stem longer. For the other woven wheels I will try to copy the size of the design to make the stitches the correct size.

Working on the design

Overall I still have to improve my skills on this stitch for the embroidery pattern. I still have lots to do to complete the embroidery project.