Apple Galette

This week I baked an apple galette. A galette is similar to a pie, but it isn’t baked in a shell, so it doesn’t have a restricted shape. Galettes are baked on a baking mat.

First of all, I made the dough. The dough recipe was written by Julie van Rosendaal, and olny usd 3 ingredients:water, flour, and salt. The recipe said that I needed to use 1-2 tablespoons of water, and one tablespoon wasn’t enough, so I added another. That still wasn’t enough to make the dough stick, so I added another tablespoon of water. this finally made it stick well enough. I then left the dough to rest for 15 minutes.

The dough is resting.

While the dough rested, I peeled and cut the apples. i definitely struggled with this, since it took me almost twenty mintues to cut and peel two relatively small apples.

After I finished struggling to cut the apples, I just had to roll the dough into a circular shape, and mix the apples with cinnamon and sugar. I accidentally added more thean one shake of cinnamon, but that’s fine. I finally placed the apples into the dough. I added some milk onto the edges of the folded up dough. Then I placed it into the oven, originally for 45 minutes, but I decided to leave it in for 5 more minutes.

The galette, before baking

Overall, this recipe was pretty okay. I think that I overcooked the galette because it was hard to cut, but I liked the crispiness. Next time, I would only bake this recipe for 45 minutes in the oven. I probably need to practice